It's 1998ish... Maybe 1997ish? I live in Brooklyn. I am in high school and engulfing myself in a U2 album released a few years ago called "Achtung Baby". Its brought me to read a book by Bill Flanagan about their tour for that album. He writes a page or so about the tour arrival to Mexico City. He speaks of how massive it is, the view from the sky, the feeling, the air, the city... I am enthralled. I have not traveled further than east coast at this point in my life. I don't speak Spanish. Forget about a passport, I don't even have my birth certificate as a teenager. But I decide then, wow... One day I want to go to this Mexico City.
.jpg)
.jpg)
It's 2003ish... I am a police officer for the NYPD. I'm learning a little Spanish. I've seen U2 on tour now many times, I even went to Cancun on Spring Break. I have my passport for my dream trip, and first overseas trip that would happen in 6 years (Japan). I'm also about to move out of New York City to spend what would be the next 19 years in Arizona. I'm organized and planning things constantly, this includes a list of fun things, aka travel, that I plan on doing once I'm more settled in Arizona better. I put the list in an important binder of important things that I keep and am still using today for my immigration process in Argentina. I know Mexico City is a direct flight from Arizona, so I assume it will happen soon.


The list doesn't quite happen on time, it's only 4 things. I'll eventually see the Mr. Olympia in Las Vegas in 2014, Japan 2009 as mentioned, Los Angeles becomes somewhat of a recurring destination from friends, concerts, my Italian citizenship process, etc. I go to Mexico several times, Puerto Penasco driving, I speak Spanish fluently now, but for some reason, as I traveled to over 70 countries, and all 7 continents, I never hit that Mexico City bucket list item from the early 2000s. I always say, I want to go, I'll do it soon, I can't do it now because this or that. You know how it goes.
![]() |
| Chapultepec Castle |
2025. Over 27 years since a 16 or 17 year old kid in Brooklyn read that Bill Flanagan book. I am still living in Arizona but the clock is ticking. I am retiring in 2026 from the fire department and have some ideas to move abroad, meaning Mexico City isn't going to be such a close destination soon. It's finally time. I had the usual reasons not to go, work, friends, an event, whatever... The hell with it, I book it.
.jpg)
.jpg)
Its about a 3 hour flight from Phoenix to Mexico City, or as I would now as someone who learned Spanish say CDMX. It's June and its almost boiling in Phoenix. But the time finally came, I booked the flight. This place is an amazing city for everyone, but particularly for Phoenix in the summer with 100+ heat I can't imagine a better quick international trip to immerse in a different world, and cool off at the same time. It's not super cold in June, but it's definitely sweater weather at night time, and relaxed in the day.
.jpg)
.jpg)
The flight is smooth and customs is even smoother, I don't speak to any immigration officer, I enter with my passport at an automatic Kiosk. I am sure this is not every experience, but it was a great way to start the trip. If you are at the window seat enjoy the view of the massive sprawl until you land. After immigrations the trip to the city by Uber took about 30 minutes, easy check in and shout out to Kukun Apartments I found on Airbnb, the rooftop views by day and night were both breathtaking.
This can be a short trip, or it can be a lifetime. As I wrote about before, we don't have a lifetime to travel. I only visited for 4 days. Luckily with flight times, it was a pretty solid 4 days, no real loss of time in the air, time zone, etc. But it was an incredible 4 days. I wish I could spend a month here, but it seems like 1998 when the trip was planned was last week, I'm going to blink and it's going to be 2053... If I make it! So 4 days was sufficient. If you are doing the pyramids which I did, that's a day in itself, so it left me 3ish days to really take advantage of the city, I decided early on like many trips, this wasn't going to be a relaxing beachy type trip, this was going to be early mornings exploring, late night partying, and all the fun in between for 80 or so hours there.
.jpg)
.jpg)
Day 1: I took the city by foot/uber. The art museum, the Constitution Plaza, Chapultepec Castle, Zocalo, and more...
The Angel of Independence. It was super important for me to see the angel, it's famous, yet not the most famous. But for me whenever I watch Spanish TV when I see the angel I realize we are in Mexico City much better than just the skyline shots. Plus overall, the symbol of an angel? What's not to love? I was so capitivated by it, that I made it a mission to also visit at night, and to enjoy a rooftop cocktail after over it.
Day 2: was time for the pyramids! Teotihuacan Pyramids! I've been to Egypt and can say these big boy compete with the pyramids of Giza! We did a full day tour starting with a hot air balloon over the pyramids.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.JPG)
Landing to champagne toasts, then on foot, followed by brunch in a cave, and tequila tastings!
This tour can be done on its own... Well, not the air balloon part, but aside from that it can be done on it's own but well worth it for the extra money to have the guides, and all the bonuses.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Landing to champagne toasts, then on foot, followed by brunch in a cave, and tequila tastings!
This tour can be done on its own... Well, not the air balloon part, but aside from that it can be done on it's own but well worth it for the extra money to have the guides, and all the bonuses.
![]() |
| Breakfast in the cave! |
.jpg)
Day 3: As mentioned I grew up in NYC, when we saw the big red tourist buses there, we would laugh, maybe even make fun of them, "these tourists! I'll never be caught dead on on those!!!"
Yeah... Don't throw stones at glass houses. So the big red hop on hop off tour bus in Mexico City was perfect! It goes only to the main tourist sites, there was an audio phone option for history etc, but I elected to speak with friends instead.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
The bus is much cheaper than ubering place to place, and something that never occurred to me in my arrogant New York days, the upper level caught some great views. Museo Soumaya, Zocalo, the revolution monument, and more!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
The bus is much cheaper than ubering place to place, and something that never occurred to me in my arrogant New York days, the upper level caught some great views. Museo Soumaya, Zocalo, the revolution monument, and more!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Day 4: The flight unfortunately was leaving early, so breakfast at the airport before heading back to Phoenix.
Some Travel Notes
- The trip wasn't super cheap, but from Phoenix it definitely didn't break the bank, under $1,000 for 4 days and three nights staying in the Roma area.
.jpg)
- Overall safety it was the safest place I've ever been in Mexico, not to say bad things don't happen, but overall it was a safe feeling.
.jpg)
- Food! I love the Sonoran Mexican food more than anything else, CDMX didn't change that. But that being said everything from street food to the elegant dining was excellent.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
I am currently at the time of writing living in Argentina. Mexico City was a magical place for me. After visiting over 70 countries, and Mexico itself over a dozen times. I didn't think it would have that much of an affect on me, but travel can surprise you like that. From where I live in Argentina to CDMX is a hike now, and costly. But I definitely want to go back. Since there are no direct flights from Buenos Aires to Phoenix, perhaps I can make it my intentional layover trip? Who knows... I would be lying if I said I don't regret not going more often when it was a short flight from Phoenix. It's another world from there and yet so close, I wish I went more. I didn't know in 1997 it would take me almost 30 years to make it there. I hope it doesn't take my 30 years to make it back.
Choose the continent!!!!
OR...
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment