![]() |
| Getting a DNI is a walk in the park.... Jurassic Park. |
DNI. I speak fluent Spanish, it's been great to me from work, life, and years of travel to almost every Spanish speaking country in the world. However like a lot of 2nd language learners... I never fully learned the alphabet. I mean what's the point? Other than "Ñ" it's all the same letters as English. I don't have kids, so there is no need to sing the ABC's in both languages... Right? When I visited Argentina the first time in 2022, and second in 2025, and lived in the tourist bubble I still had never heard the word/letters DNI. But sure enough in 2026 when I got here to live... I learned quick.
Person: "Tu DNI?"
Me not having learned the alphabet: "Mi DNA???" (do they want my nationality or genetic code!)
The Documento Nacional de Identidad, lets call it the Argentina Driver's license or ID in general. It's the official national ID card of citizens and residents in Argentina. If you are visiting Argentina feel free to disregard the word and this article, you can think of it as DNI, DNA, Deena, whatever.... But if you plan to live here, it's a gonna be a ride with the DNI.
Before I had my bank account, I was asked for it regularly in my neighborhood which is now outside of the tourist bubble for credit card purchases, I felt some relief as they seemed to accept my driver's license or passport number for whatever was needed for their system. Great to buy milk or empanadas, not so great when it came time for serious things. I learned that it was needed for everything. I mean everything. It got to the point with my girlfriend where during dinner I had to use the bathroom but I joked to her I couldn't because I didn't have my DNI. A few things that happened since at the time of writing I still don't have it:
- 4 banks rejected my business, I had my 2 passports, 10 or so Apostilled financial documents, FBI check, and CUIL (Argentina social security number) at this point, but they still wouldn't let me open an account.
- Apartments rejected my business
- I can't open an account on Mercado Pago which makes daily life easier
- Every internet service provider I called rejected my business, my internet today is in my girlfriends name
- All other utilities are in my landlords name
- Immigration wanted utility bills the week I applied for my Visa, you can't get a DNI until immigration gives you the proper Visa, and you can't get utilities till you have a DNI! What!?
- And the topper of toppers, I wasn't allowed to buy a refrigerator at a major chain store because I didn't have a DNI, I have both my Italian and US passport, and I was paying for the fridge in one credit card payment, no financing!
I am in the Rentista Visa process now. I have Italian citizenship, and swear it was easier to get Italian citizenship than the Rentista Visa. For my Italian passport the end game was holding the red passport. For Argentina, the end of the game will be getting my Rentista, and finally being able to get a DNI.
| MORE ARGENTINA EXPAT ARTICLES |

No comments:
Post a Comment