Thursday, April 18, 2019

Port Lincoln Great White Shark Cage Dive


      Ok I'm gonna make this easy for you, there is one reason and one reason only most people come to Port Lincoln Australia, to dive with the Great White Sharks! But alas... it's a beautiful town and staying an extra couple of days is not an idea you will regret should you choose to do so! Like most living human beings on the Earth I have a fascination and love of the Great Whites, their danger, and their beauty. Remember, Port Lincoln is the ONLY place to go on a Great White Shark tour on the continent. My trip to Port Lincoln gave me the chance to see them in person. Here's my tips and advice if you head there:

  • There are two companies that do Great White Shark tours, Calypso Charters (my choice) is the only one at the time of writing that has the rights to use bait. So while I want to tell you to lean to Calypso, a friend I met that did the other tour had just as good of an experience, and honestly better photos! You are tracking a wild animal. Both ships go to the same area (Neptune Bay), so the choice is yours.

    Dive Team 1 assembled!
  • You will not be diving like SCUBA, you are just below the water on an air line, not an SCBA tank, which means you don't worry about running out of air, and you can fly the next day unlike normal SCUBA where you need 24 hours. Of course double check this before you leave with your doctor and dive instructors!

    Ready to go down!
  • Ok next tip is worth your time you took to read this page, certified divers go first. My group definitely got the most action. It's early morning and the sharks are hungry. If you have time get certified before you go.

                      
  • Now the good news, you don't have to be certified to go.
  • We had major sea sick issues on our ship, if you are the type, take the pills or bring the good old vomit bag. It's a big ship, and I don't normally get sea sick, but I definitely had to monitor my gut. So for that matter, there's some nice local bars in town. Save them for after the dive!

                                
  • You can pay for the photo package which I did, but in retrospect your own GoPro or underwater camera is a nice addition.
  • At the time of writing you do not get money back if you don't see the sharks but get credit for a future dive. So if time is a delicacy you have you can consider booking two dives, but they ain't cheap! You can also reference the website for shark sightings records. I knew January was going to be a good month and am certainly happy I booked with Calypso!
  • Ok back to Port Lincoln! For accommodation I wanted to stay right on the pier, one for the view, and two for convenience to walking to Calypso in the morning, all taxi's need to be pre-booked! I got lucky to get one at the airport.

  • I went with the Shark Apartments on Airbnb for a place to stay. Perfect for the budget traveler, and much cheaper than the hotel near by. They were also by a gas station if you drove or wanted snacks, and I went to the hotel nearby for dinner.

    The town itself has a small town feel for it, but enough places to keep you busy a few days before or after your dive. They used to fish the Great Whites, but fortunately thanks to conservation efforts they now only visit them, and not only was it great for the sharks, it was great for Port Lincoln. The town has grown so much from eco tourism and the tour boats kill what the fishing boats made in earnings. Enjoy your time in Port Lincoln, and keep your hands and arms in the cage!!!


Choose the continent!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment