Sunday, April 21, 2019

Chilling With Kangaroos In Perth

"You're only going to Perth for 2 days? That's not enough time!!!"


      As I've wrote countless times, and in detail here, we are budget travelers. It would be great to rent a place in every city in the world for 1 month each and learn each city as we know our own cities, but again we are budget travelers. This is not an option. So if you have limited time, use and treasure that time. That's what I did with Perth. I had one month in Australia, originally I had decided to skip Perth and Tasmania. But a friend of mine talked me into Perth, particularly for surfing which I did not do anyway on the west coast at least. I did skip Tasmania, my cousin has threatened my life for doing this, so I will hit it next time.

     Going further afield to explore Western Australia sure 2 days is not enough time as it is very spread out, but landing at late night and leaving 2 nights later gave me a full 2 days and 2 nights to explore Perth, and I was very happy with it. Here's my go to advice on saving money in Perth and checking out the city in limited time:

  • Airbnb once again saved me a fortune. For the whole month in Australia the only time I didn't use Airbnb was where it wasn't abundant in Alice Springs, sleeping on a dive boat in the barrier reef, and a few historic places along the Great Ocean Road that added nostalgia. Otherwise I was really happy staying in luxurious high rise apartments that would cost a fortune if they were hotels.
  • I stayed in Northbridge, this neighborhood is definitely the best and most central to explore Perth. No need for a car as it is very walkable. Plenty of great bars and restaurants but my favorite had to be Outback Jacks, note it is a chain, but for the unique menu of game platter I give it a big thumbs up! Enjoy a platter of kangaroo, crocodile, emu, buffalo, wild boar, and camel (very chewy!).

     
  • Now this made me feel old, but great stop anyway, Nostalgia Box is a video game museum. It's a small place you can cruise thru in 20 minutes or stay an hour to play all the old school games! And it's only around $20 USD.
 
  • Great coffee! But I think that's almost everywhere in Oz :)
  • Check out the Bell Tower, and stay a good hour or two to walk the pier around there. Also was cheap.
 

  

  • King Park Botanical garden is a great spot to check out too. Free.

        
  • But my favorite spot without a doubt was Heirisson Island. The park/island itself is not impressive. You go to visit the residents. Several kangaroo's live on the island. DON'T GET CLOSE TO THEM LIKE I DID. But say hello to them in the park. Something was really cool about seeing the local animal so close to the main city. Free.

     So while I didn't have a month to visit Perth I'm really glad I got to check it out. Sydney was and still is my all time favorite from both my trips to Australia, but I'm glad I got to visit the east and west coast. Enjoy my video of the whole trip below :)


Choose the continent!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment