Monday, April 15, 2019

The Great Barrier Reef and Cairns



      I think anyone that has began their research into seeing the Great Barrier Reef knows Cairns is a major launch off point to see it. But don't make the mistake I made of totally skipping Cairns! Ok well maybe not totally, but I do certainly know that if there was one regret on this amazing trip it was not seeing or spending more time in beloved Cairns. Here's my go to tips, tricks, and money saving advice for Cairns and the Reef!


  • Explore your Airbnb and Hostel options before the expensive hotels. I opted to stay in 2 different hostels, the first I went super economy because I wasn't planning on doing much the first night to get rest for the Barrier Reef, the 2nd I chose to stay at Gilligans which I will get to down this list. There were many different Airbnb's though that would have been greater for a longer stay. Generally you will want to stay in the area I drew out below

                      
  • And of course stay a night or two on the Barrier Reef! I did one night, but we started early, and did 5 or 6 dives (including my first night dive!) plus a snorkel excursion. I highly recommend if you are certified or not to do the overnights rather than a day excursion. An overnight stay was around $400, figuring what it would cost to book a dive, 3 meals, and a bed, you are saving money by staying on the Reef!

    Chilling on the upper deck
  • Check if your boat has camera equipment for rental, or staff photographer. I travel with only a carry on so my only option was a smaller camera like a GoPro which I couldn't secure before the trip. Luckily my boat had a photographer on board. The guy went around snapping everyone, the pics were pretty pricey, but with  photos like these, I had to pay!

         
  • Now here's a little secret that may save you thousands or you will kill me if it doesn't happen... A lot of these boats have a high turn over... on my ship they offered me a job on the spot to wash dishes and hang in exchange for free room and board and one or two free dives a day. With the right persuasion you can probably find a job and not pay anything for your trip to the reef!
  • Back to Cairns after the Reef. Your best bet is ideally to dive the weekdays and do Cairns over the weekend. There are so many great restaurants, breweries, and bars to check out. As well as the rain forest and Port Douglas which I did not get to see! We had probably the best meal on the trip in Cairns doing the Taste Of Australia at Ochre Restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, for the ones on the water call and make reservations. We couldn't get a table at many restaurants which was frustrating because half the reservations clearly never showed up anyway. 

Taste Of Australia

Ochre Restaurant sampling the local cuisine

  • Heading back to down town Cairns after the Reef I stayed at Gilligans, it's part hostel/part hotel, as I covered in How Old Is Too Old To Stay In A Hostel I'm at the cut off age to hostel out for the most part, so I opted for a suite on the upper floors while still getting to enjoy the party atmosphere on the main floor. The hotel/hostel is part of the biggest night club in the city, and it did not disappoint to party after diving was done!




  • I tried to hang glide in Cairns and got cancelled for weather, this is the 3rd or so time I've tried to hang glide and weather has cancelled it. So if someone has a blog on how to successfully book hang gliding feel free to send it to me!

    Checking out local art museum
    Checking out the locals
  • Hanging out in Cairns you have your museums, the river walk, the Cairns Esplanade since there is no beach area, museums, restaurants, a great gym, bars, clubs, unique shops like the Samurai Gallery, but the best part of Cairns, is the hanging out part. The city carries a vibe meant to chill. Meant to walk around aimlessly with your mates. A place to day drink beer like a college kid or at the same time slowly sip and enjoy a fine wine on the pier like an adult. You can catch a local band, a famous DJ, or a street musician. It's a place where you can wake up early for great coffee, or sleep in late because you had too much fun at Gilligans. 

     I had 4 days in Cairns, 2 lost to diving, I think 1 more would have been suffice and to have rescheduled the diving for the weekday portion. But either way as I have written countless times, getting a taste of a place is so much better than never having been. While I hope one day to return to Cairns and do it properly, if I only have these 4 days in life that I went there, I am forever grateful for it.



Choose the continent!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment