Friday, May 22, 2020

All 7 Continents In One Long Trip?

Pondering the path to all 7 in one trip...

    So this blog for the last almost decade now has been 6 of the 7 continents... But since the wheels are in motion now for me to hit the 7th I thought I would write this article today. I want to go to Antarctica in 2021, but what about a journey across all 7 continents? Maybe I will do this as a celebration retirement trip. Today I looked at a battle plan to get to all 7 continents in one trip of say 2 to 3 months long with no connections except the big flights. This journey is totally possible, and it is totally possible with direct flights!

               

    I plan on retiring in the summer (many years from now), I work in Arizona and it will be nice to leave in July rather than another season to peace out and start traveling instead of working in the heat. But for my fantasy planning of this retirement trip, it needs to start late fall/early winter as Antarctica touring is only done late November thru early March. So... Using Kayak for my search engine and the world famous and world connected LAX as my start point, along with a good knowledge already of the major international airports of the world, we will start this journey in Los Angeles for North America. I go almost every summer and will surely revisit my favorite places, eat my favorite LA foods, and see all my friends off there before we embark from LAX where you can fly direct to Sydney. 
  
Human Flag on Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, USA 2019

  • I'd revisit my favorite Sydney spots, the tourist mecca the Opera House as well as the non tourist mecca the beautiful beachside suburb of Maroubra Beach. I've traveled extensively thru Oz but still haven't hit big areas such as the Gold Coast or Tasmania. So maybe they can be added. I will also head over to New Zealand for perhaps a week, as it has always been one of my favorite destinations in the world. 2 weeks total.

    Australia 2019 New Year's Trip
  • My favorite places in Asia are all in the popular south east region, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand, but for this journey Singapore will be the landing point, I'd like to have time to revisit Tokyo my first overseas trip ever, and of course the middle east which I have been to several times but Asia is such a massive country and my fantasy trip for 2/3 months wouldn't afford the time to revisit all! I'd set foot in Singapore, with of course a quick bus to Malaysia in case anyone wants to get me on the discrepancy of Singapore being an island nation. From there it would be great to revisit Vietnam, but maybe only Ho Chi Minh in the interest of time, as this leg is also only about 2 weeks.

Halong Bay, Vietnam 2018
  • Back to Singapore and now it's time to return to Africa! Although I had a quick layover in London, Africa is really the 2nd continent I ever explored after Asia. I would land in Johannesburg. But this time in addition to revisiting the safaris (Kruger!) I would also be sure to hit Capetown as I didn't go last time. Maybe dive with the great whites! 1 week in Safari and 1 week for cities and beaches.

    South Africa Safari 2010
  • Joburg offers a few direct flights to Europe. For this trip we will be going to Frankfurt, even though my home city in the USA has a direct flight I still haven't been! I will make sure to spend sometime exploring Frankfurt and of course another German city, and I think since time is on my side an 8 hour train ride to stop to Italy and say hello to my other country is mandatory. 1 week for Germany, maybe a day in Austria, and 1 week in Italy.

    Brandenberg Gate, Germany 2013
  • Time for another big flight, Frankfurt goes direct to Argentina. My favorite country of course in South America is Colombia, but time and geography may not work out to go there as I'd like to keep my flights to only the direct internationals for this fantasy trip, so it's time to explore Argentina, and of course the Mendoza Wine Region, Malbec is my favorite wine of all time! Since we will be returning here 1 week can suffice, and then maybe a celebration week when we get back!

    Cartagena Fort, Colombia 2009
  • It's time for the big one, and luckily no big international flight, maybe a quick domestic to Ushuaia if you don't wanna take a long bus ride. I still haven't been to the 7th continent! But the wheels are in motion, and that would make my fantasy trip my second voyage there. If the first trip was short the second one is ideally the long cruise to Antarctica, which means the Falkland Islands and South Georgia! 
Me and my boys, Antarctica 2020! Just kidding, it's  a weekend trip to Utah 2016

    Believe it or not, on today's searches those direct flights would only run $2-3k total! Not each, now of course you need to get back to USA or your origin country and come up with at least $10k for the Antarctica trip. But by taking advantage of major routes, landing in the big cities and branching off into the smaller ones, it's an adventure worth dreaming about! 98% of this blog is trips and journey's I have done, but it's nice to keep a small little section dedicated to planning the future and dreaming about journey's we all can do.

Choose the continent!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment