Tuesday, April 28, 2020

How To Go To Antarctica

This article was originally published by me September 17th, 2011, I am re-posting now to reorganize the section as I finally wen to Antarctica in December of 2022!  


                

     Ok so this blog is called 6 of the 7 continents for a reason, I have not been to Antarctica, in fact most seasoned travelers, even the Australians, will never hit the 7th continent. I have heard so many things about it that I will one day go... but that day and dream are far away as the cheapest options to Antarctica for me are around $10,000 USD. But I have read extensively about traveling to the ice, so here are my tips...

  1. Become a scientist... yep it's that easy, they make up the majority of the Antarctic population. Start working on that degree!
  2. Get another job in Antarctica, Raytheon Jobs are the current top employer as far as I have read. These jobs ARE NOT easy to get, if you have a master's degree you may at best get a job driving a bus or janitorial duties.
  3. It is typical to travel there during their summer, November thru March.
  4. Cruise ships is the main tourist way to go, these cruises are incredibly expensive and most only travel to the Antarctic peninsula, you may also try to get a job on the ship.
  5. Ushuaia, if you live in Argentina, Ushuaia, the southern most city in the world is the gateway to Antarctica, the $10,000 cruises can sometimes go 75% off shortly before if the cruise has not sold out, this is easily the best budget way to go, and I do know a few people who have been lucky enough to do this.
     Remember Antarctica is an environmental gem of this world, if you are fortunate enough to go there, respect the continent, wear appropriate footwear, don't litter, support the companies that support environmental conservation and also remember that I have never been there, it will be a long time until I can go and I AM EXTREMELY JEALOUS OF YOU!!!! HOW DARE YOU USE MY BLOG AGAINST ME TO HIT THE ICE BEFORE I HAVE!!!   Ok I'm kidding, but still jealous.

Did you enjoy this article? Support the content and creation by shopping on Amazon to help me continue blogging and helping fellow travelers. Here's an item I recommend, an international charger with extra ports to charge multiple devices. Click the link to buy this, or anything you buy will give me a small commission. And thank you so much for reading this blog!


Choose the continent!!!!

OR...

No comments:

Post a Comment