Sunday, April 28, 2024

Lounging Out In The Dominican Republic



     It was a random weekend in March that I was awarded a random vacation day from work which would give me a 5 day weekend.... A random search on Google Flights brought up a pretty good deal to head to the Dominican Republic...



      I had already done some recent tropical trips and wasn't really feeling a beach trip as another one was already on the horizon in April... However... I remembered the lounge! Punta Cana Airport is one of the only airports in the world that has a pool at their lounge where you can sit in the pool with cocktail with planes taking off overhead... It was a unique last minute opportunity so I decided, what the hell! Let's do it! 

My Airbnb overlooking the beach


  • The age old DR Question, all inclusive or not all-inclusive, while there is no right answer, I think for the majority all inclusive is a great option! But not for me. I speak fluent Spanish and wanted to blend in more with locals than other tourists, this trip was also during a peak time when I was trying to lean out, that being said, all you can eat buffets did not appeal to me, and the biggest place where you can save money would be on alcohol! But I didn't plan on drinking much either. So opting for much cultural immersion I booked an Airbnb instead. This was definitely a great savings for me vs all-inclusive, but if you were going to drink or eat a lot, and wanted to meet other tourists, of course all-inclusive is a great option!

                       

  • I stayed by Bavaro Beach, the beach was absolutely gorgeous! Perfect waters and great casual bars by night.

                     

  • Top level food, both local, and international
  • Night life was ok, there was a great bar with live music, but the clubs were a little lacking, I could have gone to the legendary Coco Bongo which was the original plan, but I ended up meeting locals, and we had a great time at the local spots instead in a more chill sort of way.

  • And of course the MAIN REASON I OPTED FOR THIS LAST MINUTE TRIP!
THE LOUNGE!

   I loved the DR! And I would certainly go back! But it was like many Caribbean trips as far as things to see and do, what made me book it last minute was definitely the lounge!    

                             

     I have Priority Pass, which probably deserves it's own posts for the benefits of this I receive thru my Chase Sapphire Card, which also probably deserves it's own post, but I feel like Chase and Priority pass both make enough money already without my free advertising. At the time of writing if you don't have lounge access through your credit card, airline ticket, etc, you can still enter for $50. Welcome now to one of the only airline lounges in the world with a pool!

                              


    Bring your swim suit and jump in! Lounge access also includes two alcoholic beverages, so the party doesn't have to end when you get to the airport! Great food selection too!

                                        

    There are actually two lounges, one has a small pool with a gate seemingly directly below it, the other looks out at several planes as you dip in the pool.

                                              


     It was a quick but great trip! The lounge certainly made the last minute aspect totally worth it. The DR is a the type of place you can go for a long weekend or a full two weeks. You won't be disappointed! I certainly wasn't!





No comments:

Post a Comment