Monday, June 5, 2023

History, Adventures, and Vodka Tours in Poland

           

     It was January when I had just got back from my epic trip spending New Years In Antarctica, I had decided that due to the cost, and everything that went into that voyage I would be laying low for awhile, buckle down with work, and put travel on hold.... But then I got the flight alert... I use web alerts like Kayak to email me when prices drop, or I constantly browse with the "explore" feature on Kayak and Google flights to see when smoking deals come. I knew I wanted to go to Poland soon, and when a flight came to Krakow for under $700, it was time to look a little closer. A quick Airbnb showed an apartment in the city center with great reviews for $200 for 8 days! So flight and hotel to Europe in winter for under $1,000. I didn't have a choice, it was time to go to Poland.

     The main event was going to be a visit to one of the saddest places in human history, Auschwitz, but of course I wanted to see the brighter things here. I love art, history, and adventure and Poland certainly had great options for all of this. And I'll say for a budget traveler it is certainly one of the cheapest places I have been in Europe if not the cheapest. And just because it was cheap, doesn't mean by any means that it wasn't an amazing place that touched my heart in my short time there. Here's my go to advice for traveling to Poland!

  • I opted to stay south, while Warsaw was tempting, the main things I wanted to do was Krakow, Zakopane, and Auschwitz. Maybe the north is 20x better but I don't regret at all my decision of keeping this particular trip short and sweet. 

              

  • Winter flights to Europe will generally be cheaper, and additional bonus, better seat selection, I'll write an article at the end of the year but I now have Gold Status with United for 2023, so it meant flying to and from Poland in comfort of premium economy on the way there and the exit row on the way back (neither better than business though of course).
  • Stay as close as you can to the main historic square, nightlife, dining, museums, the famous church, etc all there. But be advised you may need to meet your Uber's or drivers a little walk away as the square is walking only.

                                    
  • Speaking of restaurants.... None of my research said much about the culinary scene in Krakow, but I think I gained a few lbs/kgs because how delicious it was there.






  • This was mid-February, not the coldest time to be in the country but luckily still a snow scene to enjoy. I used this company to book a snowmobile, and thermal spa tour. The guide Thomas was awesome, we learned a lot about the country, and of course had an epic time snowmobiling the forests of Zakopane followed by a trip to the thermal springs. I envisioned thermal springs like I have done in other countries with a meditation like vibe, the Zakopane ones we went to is more like giant pool party. Complete with bars, and waterslides.





  • The Princes Czartoryski Museum, Leonardo DaVinci's Lady with an Ermine, nuff said

                

    I saw her outside as well!

  • Auschwitz on the other hand won't be enough to say, and as more of a fun traveler, this was a visit to one of the darkest places in human history. There was some recommendations to get there early and self tour, but in light of not renting a car I opted for a tour group. It was led by a little girl who probably was no older than 23, but her passion about the holocaust with a soft voice was something I will never forget. This is a somber but humbling experience. It will stick with you forever.

Victims shoes









  • The same day we also visited the Salt Mines, a full day of Auscswhitz is a lot to handle so I am glad I opted for this, but of course it is your choice.

     

  • Now on a much lighter note, Vodka tour! Highly recommended for the drinkers! I booked my Vodka tour off Airbnb, I don't recall the exact cost, but it was cheaper than a vodka drink in some upscale bars in my city. Definitely try and do this tour! But drink lots of water! 




Keep em coming!

  • When the Vodka tour is done a night on the town is a must, Stare Miasto has enough bars to never see em all, there's something for everyone from chill wine bars to full blown clubs, I opted for Dive bars and Karaoke, endless fun! No need to Uber if you stay near the square!

  • Shooting Tour! Also so much fun! Shot off some old vintage weapons and new ones! But uhhh, don't do it after the Vodka Tour! Just kidding, Vodka tour is only at night anyway ;)


  • And of course like many older cities, the town square Stare Miasto is just amazing to walk around and enjoy.

My state has restaurant in Poland!?




     I must say besides the price, visiting in cold February provided something special beyond price discount for a budget traveler. And beyond the day in Zakopane. It was the experience of being in Auschwitz during winter, something about it just seemed more right to pay homage there. This was a shorter trip only about 8 days or so, but I took in so much, and it gave me so much that I could have never imagined. There is truly something for everyone in this city, and in this amazing country. As always with every new place I visit, thank you to the people of Krakow and the country of Poland, for everything.






No comments:

Post a Comment