Monday, October 19, 2020

What To Do For 24 Hours Drunk In London?


No idea where this is, but it's in my London Album, so lets throw it in here!

   It was Summer of 2010, the first time I set foot in Europe on where else but the world famous, United Kingdom, more specifically the world famous London. This trip was done before I started this blog, and I'm writing the article finally now in 2020... I remember some of the beautiful photos, but I also remember I got pretty lit that one night, and the hangover shaded the memory a bit, however, with the help of travel articles and my faded memory, along with some great photos, here we go! 24 hours in London drunk on Layover!

  • Getting to and from the city is no problem from Heathrow the train takes about 30 minutes and was definitely the best and easiest option. 

  • I stayed at an Airbnb in a tiny room close to Buckingham Palace for around $40 (this was around the dawn of Airbnb, so no idea if prices are better or worse now). The memory is foggy, but I recall, there was no AC, just a room fan, but even in the August heat it was comfy for a budget traveler.

    Buckingham Palace is one of the last things I remember  before London Happy Hour and night life took over.

  • I landed sometime in the morning, the Buckingham photo is around 10am, we have 24 hours to go, so let's see where the city took me!

  • I got a quick breakfast and thought maybe a Bloody Mary would help with the jet lag, drank one... Time to start walking around...

  • Check out the big wheel! Somewhere around here I stopped in a pub, I wanted to see if the beer was served warm, it was not.

                                    

  • I checked out that big clock too!

                                   

  • Sample the local food, I remember in 2010 it was kind of cheap, I wanted to try some local wine (even though I know better now that it's not quite the wine region), anyway one glass may have turned into a bottle. Back to walking around!


  • Dont forget to check out that bridge!

                   

  • I have no idea where this bridge below is, but I found it in my pics and it looks cool


  • Google tells me this is The Statue Of Victoria



  • See some epic churches, I remember somewhere around here grabbing dinner, some random guy knew I was from out of town, he offered to buy a round for us and I would have been a rude guest to refuse! He also told me about some party places to check out when I split.


  • Random Photos with people I have no idea of out partying, I appear to be drinking American Beer, as I always try local drinks I assume this must have been late night when senses were beginning to evade me. I see name tags on us... Hmmm.... No idea.... Thinking Face on Apple iOS 13.3


  • At this point I vaguely remember a dance club, my camera is definitely dead, and this is before smart phones. We are around midnight/1am, at least in memory.

  • After hours, again phone is dead, I vaguely remember eating some shitty street food on the subway/tube floor with random people that had been politely asked/kicked out of the club. Sometime around 3am.

  • Celebrating waking up in my Airbnb somehow and not losing my wallet or camera! 8am, hangover is strong even though I don't look it! I needed coffee ASAP!



  • Time for some strong British Coffee! About 2 hours to kill before my flight to South Africa! Hangover is very clearly showing now!



  • Back to the Tube and one final photo of the tube station, and me on the final stretch before I said good bye to England, I wouldn't return until 2017 for a quick and great layover in Manchester, but that story is for another time.

 

  • The Security official at the Airport asked me if I had a good last night in London, I was afraid my stench of alcohol sweating off may deny me boarding but instead he gave me a wink and said "Have a good flight mate!"

     I remember as I checked into that airport and made it thru customs/security, thinking what an epic 24 hours it was, and since this was a layover vacation, it means the journey wasn't ending, it was just beginning! 



No comments:

Post a Comment