Friday, October 25, 2019

Exploring Asuncion Paraguay & The Off The Chain Nightlife!


     It is at times wrongly billed as the most boring country in South America, a place most people will never go to, never pass through except for maybe at the borders of Iguassu Falls... But sadly these travelers are missing out. On my way to spending 2 weeks in Bolivia I spent about an extra $300 in flights to give me 3 days in Asuncion, Paraguay. The tour guide online articles were pretty accurate with hitting up down town, the markets, the river, and of course the famous Lido Bar restaurant. But what I had not read of and was not expecting was the world class night life, from Irish pubs to roof top bars, beautiful people, great music, and drinks that kept flowing at a price you would pay for them in your local supermarket back home. Here's my experiences and high lights of Paraguay:

  • La Costanera is good for a few hours of fun, or 30 minutes if you rent one of the bikes/scooters down there. Great views of the river and a great part of town.

  • As mentioned Lido Bar, if you go to Paris and you see the Eiffel Tower, if you come to Asuncion you eat at Lido Bar. As much of a tourist location as it is, it didn't feel that way. Tons of locals, business people, and general Paraguayans sat around me enjoying the local cuisine.

                            
  • I spent my first morning getting lost in the alleys of the Loma San Jerónimo neighborhood. I read it was sketchy at night so I figured best to tackle it in the morning. No safety issues on my walk, but I could see potential from what I had read. 

 


  • Of course you will want to swing by Palacio de Lopez Paraguay. Take a look by day, but at night head back for a roof top view from the O'Leary Club speak easy.





  • Museo de Las Memorias was a good stop for the history of Paraguay, you can still go in the cells that the prisoners were held in under dictatorship.
  • Shopping, I'm not a big shopper, but if you wanted to, you might as well, it's CHEAP.
  • Paraguay Nights... okay here is what I was not expecting... the party scene. The Carmelitas neighborhood is stocked and loaded with bars and clubs for every taste. I can't remember everyone I went to (hey I said I had a good time!) but some high lights were Kilkenny, King Fish, Capitao Bar, Long Bar, and the epic roof bar Zulu.

                     

    You will feel like Jay Z if you are coming from USA or western Europe with how far your cash will go.  If it's the weekend or even a Thursday people will be flowing out the doors, but yet no obnoxiously long lines to get in the clubs or bars.
                                            

  • Treat the night life like any other of course, watch your belongings, suspicious people, drink water to prevent the hangover, and take Uber home :)
      I could have just gone to Bolivia, would have saved me a few hundred bucks, and I would have saved a few vacation days at work, but I decided to squeeze in a little bit of this amazing city and this beautiful country. I may never go back... to visit... It is is small and it's easy to see a lot in a quick visit... but.... I could see myself living there. It's beauty, it's simplicity, and kind people make it a spot that I'll never forget... And of course the non stop flowing of Caña cocktails and Pilsen beers!



Human Flag Paraguay

Choose the continent!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment