Wednesday, January 13, 2021

This 2006 Kia Rio Drove Me To 6 Of The 7 Continents


      Well it finally came time to get rid of my first car, a 2006 Kia Rio that I bought for about $11,000 (everything, tax, title, license included) 14 years ago. I make enough money now that I can really justify buying my next car, and I have the money in cash from small turned large stock account that I started for a new car years ago when the Kia began getting older. When I first bought the Kia I was repeatedly told what crap cars they were, how it was going to break down and not last. Once the Kia did last then people just made fun of me for having a small car. It was amazing on gas mileage and for a long time I didn't even have power locks (later installed for $200). When dating girls I liked and disliked the car. It was a great b.i.t.c.... you know what deterrent for shallow or materialistic girls, but then when a girl really liked me and I was show boating her around town in my little blue car it was a bit nerve racking. The car was also amazing at hauling crap! Many people told me I needed a truck when I bought my first house, you would be mind blown at what you can transport in a Kia. Anyway, this is a travel blog... I'm not trying to sell you a Kia Rio...

      What was important about this car, was where it drove me. The Kia Rio took me to over 50 countries in this world, on 6 of the 7 continents. Of course, you can't cross the ocean in a Kia, though I'm sure people probably have tried, I think you know what I mean by this. Several years ago I wrote an article "Travel or Cable TV?" The sum of that article tied into this one, is that if you truly love something, like travel, you have to give up that which you don't need, a new car, a new iPhone, whatever. I could have bought a new car in 2010, but the thought that 3 monthly car payments is what it costs to book 3 domestic trips or 1 international was something that polluted my mind. 

      As I went to each new country, and returned to continents countless times, I always was more interested in planning my next journey rather than my new car. Time and time again you will see studies that experience purchases bring greater happiness than material purchases, which the novelty wears off within just a few months... there's not enough space to say everything, but in lieu of buying a new car I was able to do everything that is mentioned in this blog, which by the way is never fully up to date, so there's always more. 

     I'm not going to miss my car at all, I'm happy it's gone, and happy I reached a place in life to buy a new nicer car without a car payment. And while I'm not going to miss the Kia I am forever grateful to it, for giving me the money, the time, and the experience of traveling to 50 countries on 6 of the 7 continents.

If you are crazy/stupid enough, drive your Kia off road in the dessert like I did :)

Choose the continent!!!!

OR...





        Support This Site By Purchasing Your Travel Needs

No comments:

Post a Comment